Ice Age is a popular computer animated movie franchise created by Carlos Saldanha and Chris Wedge of the comedy genre. Set in the ice age, it follows the adventures of fictional animals consisting Manny the woolly mammoth, Sid the sloth, Diego the saber-tooth tiger, Scrat the saber-tooth squirrel and others.
All movies and shorts have been produced by Blue Sky Studios and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The franchise has received PG rating for peril and mild language, reviewers from critics have been mixed, some claiming the films lack storytelling and are merely journeys from A to B while others have praised the animation The films have met financial success, grossing over $1,900,000,000 worldwide in their theater run.
- Main article: Ice Age
In the ice age period, three animals (Manny the mammoth, Sid the sloth and Diego the saber-toothed cat) go into an adventure to return a baby to a human tribe that has left for their campsite, however, Diego had been sent secretly by Soto, the sabers pack leader, to bring the baby and mammoth to a place known as the "Half Peak" so they can ambush them and kill them.
- Main article: Ice Age: The Meltdown
Global warming affects the environment and an immense amount of water threatens to flood the valley our heroes are currently living at. They have to go to the other side of the valley, where there presumably is a giant tree that can act as a boat to save them. Meanwhile, Manny is teased about being the last mammoth, but he finds Ellie, a female woolly mammoth who believes she is a possum.
- Main article: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Set few years after the events of the second film, Manny and Ellie are waiting their first baby, while Diego wonders if he is becoming too soft lately and decides to leave the herd. Sid grows jealous of Manny and Ellie and adopts three apparently abandoned eggs that hatch into T-Rex baby dinosaurs. The next day a female T-Rex takes the babies and Sid and the herd follow them, getting into an underground world where Dinosaurs lived secretly for millions of years. Meanwhile, they meet a one-eyed weasel called Buck who has been living underground for some time and helps them on their way.
Ice Age 4 : Continental Drift
- Main article: Ice Age 4. Manny and Diego and Scrat and Scrat's Grandmother were seperated from their old home and have to get back to their old home as they battle pirates and looking out for sea creatures.
- Main article: Scrat
Movies have a subplot where an animal named Scrat makes many comical attempts to bury his beloved acorn. His misfortunes include getting chased by an enormous glacier, being struck by lightning, attempting to thaw out the acorn by a fire too long so that it accidentally took the form of a kernel of popcorn, and finally getting frozen in an ice cube along with his much sought after nut. 20,000 years into the future.
Main Characters and Cast
- Scratte the female saber-toothed squirrel - Karen Disher
- Manny the woolly mammoth - Ray Romano
- Ellie the woolly mammoth- Queen Latifah
- Peaches the baby mammoth - Jennette McCurdy (4)
- Buck the insane, mammal chauvinistic one eyed weasel - Simon Pegg
- Flood the baryonyx, Rudy's girlfriend - Nika Futterman
- Sid the ground-sloth - John Leguizamo
- Diego the smilodon - George Clooney
- Crash and Eddie the possum twins - Sean William Scott (Crash), Josh Peck (Eddie)
- Scrat the saber-toothed squirrel - Chris Wedge
- Momma the t-rex - Frank Welker
- Rudy the baryonyx - Frank Welker
- Egbert and Yoko the t-rexes - Carlos Saldanha
- Shelly the t-rex - Carlos Saldanha (Dawn of the Dinosaurs and Marit Larsen (4)
- Roger, the pterodactly - Frank Welker
|Movie||Release Date||Running Time||Director||Music by||Budget|
|Ice Age||March 15, 2000||81 minutes||Chris Wedge||John Powell||$59million|
|Ice Age: The Meltdown||March 31, 2006||91 minutes||Carlos Saldanha||John Powell||$80million|
|Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||July 1st, 2009||94 minutes||Carlos Saldanha||John Powell||$90million|
Box office statistics
|Movie||Opening day||Opening Weekend||Domestic Gross||Foreign Gross||Worldwide total|
|Ice Age: The Meltdown||$21,788,862||$68,033,544||$195,330,621||$460,057,537||$655,388,158|
|Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||$13,791,157||$41,690,382||$196,573,705||$687,867,051||$884,440,756|
|Movie||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic||Yahoo! Movies|
|Overall||Cream of the Crop|
|Ice Age||78% (162 reviews)||77% (31 reviews)||60 (31 reviews)||B- (9 reviews)|
|Ice Age: The Meltdown||57% (140 reviews)||62% (26 reviews)||58 (29 reviews)||B- (14 reviews)|
|Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||45% (144 reviews)||33% (30 reviews)||50 (25 reviews)||C (13 reviews)|
There have been several released short feature films, in which Scrat has been the main character, expect for the third, which focuses on Sid.
- Gone Nutty - Ice Age VHS and DVD
- No Time For Nuts - Ice Age: The Meltdown DVD and Blu-ray (re-release)
- Surviving Sid - Horton Hears a Who! DVD and Blu-ray
The Ice Age film series has had a variety of merchandise, including video games, PEZ dispensers, plush dolls, action figures and puzzles for small children.
- As suggested by the first film, the movies take place around 18,000 B.C.
- The first film was originally intended as a drama but Fox would only accept it as a children's comedy.
- Chris Wedge, the director of the first film, is the voice of Scrat. The name 'Scrat' is a combination of the words 'squirrel' and 'rat', as Scrat has characteristics of both species.
- At some point after the Ice Age films (as shown in the epilogue of the first movie), Scrat was frozen, while in pursuit of his acorn and thawed out 20,000 years later on a tropical island. However, he lost his nut again.
- List of Ice Age characters
- List of songs featured in the Ice Age films
- List of Ice Age video games
- Ice Age in popular culture
- Ice Age epilogue
- ↑ http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/movies/20090630_Ice_Age__Dawn_of_the_Dinosaurs.html - Access date 23/Feb/2010
- ↑ http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/iceagethemeltdown - Access date 23/Feb/2010 (section The Globe and Mail (Toronto))
|Ice Age (2002) • The Meltdown (2006) • Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) • Epilogue (2002) • Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) • The Land Before Time/Ice Age crossover (2015)|
|The Land Before Time XIV (2010)|
|Manny • Ellie • Scratte • Buck • Peaches • Scrat • Sid • Diego • Crash and Eddie • Sylvia • Rudy • Momma • Shelly • Lone Gunslinger • Fast Tony • Jennifer and Rachel • Mini-Sloth • Roger • Ruby • Flightless Bird • Others|
|Ice Age • The Meltdown • Dawn of the Dinosaurs • Ice Age 4 • The Land Before Time XIV|